Mission, Vision & Belief Statements
The mission of New York School for the Deaf (NYSD) is to maximize the whole person potential of each student through comprehensive, rigorous educational programs and services within a communication and language-rich environment. NYSD is also committed to serve as an exemplary resource in the education of deaf and hard of hearing students.
As a community and to achieve its goals, NYSD collaborates with families, school districts, agencies, the deaf community, the educational research community, philanthropic sources and other key stakeholders.
NYSD’s students will become confident, contributing, well-rounded, and successful individuals in an ever-changing world.
In a safe, caring and accessible environment, NYSD is committed to:
- ensuring every student is a genuine, interactive member of the school community in and out of the classroom
- viewing deaf and hard of hearing people from a cultural and linguistic perspective rather than as disabled
- embracing the diverse cultures and ethnicities of students and their families
- excellence in a bilingual (American Sign Language and English) environment
- using every individual student’s strengths and needs as a foundation for optimal learning and development
- high academic expectations that include access to NY State Regents curriculum leading to a high school diploma or other pathways appropriate to the student
- the development of spoken language and auditory skills as appropriate to the individual student
- creating a strong foundation for critical thinking and lifelong learning in a rapidly changing and increasingly technological world
- providing high school students with meaningful and individually designed work-based learning experiences to prepare them for the world of work
- promoting a positive self-identity and keen awareness of community resources
- instilling in every student a sense of social justice, integrity and a commitment to advocacy for self and others