Speech and Language
Our ASHA certified Speech Language Pathologists provide direct and indirect speech, language, and communication services based upon evaluations and the individual needs of the student. In addition, our Speech Language Pathologists also provide on-going consultative services to staff regarding communication methodology and strategies needed by students for effective instruction.
Direct therapy is provided in small groups or during one-on-one sessions, either on a pullout basis or in the classroom, based on the individual needs of each student. From pre-school on, each student receives services to help them become effective communicators. Services provided individually and in small group settings are…
- Articulation/Pronunciation Training
- Phonological Awareness
- Speechreading Skill Training, including oral/motor skills
- Pragmatic Language Training (e.g. establishing eye contact, turn taking, maintaining a topic of conversation)
- Communication Strategies to prevent or repair communication breakdowns
- Language expansion—both receptive/expressive language building
- Auditory Training—detection, discrimination, identification, and comprehension
- Fostering a link between spoken English and literacy
- Strategies and support for communicating with non-signers at work and in the community
- Feeding/Swallowing services
- Supporting the use of integrated technology and augmentative communication in the classroom and community
NYSD Speech Language Pathologists provide services for students using a variety of communication modes and strategies including ASL, spoken English, written English, augmentative communication, and picture communication support. They also collaborate closely with other professionals on each student’s team to ensure the student’s potential is maximized.